- Nikon's original FX-format CMOS image sensor with 36.0 (H) x 23.9 (V) mm image size; 12.1 effective megapixels
- Compatible with three image-sensor formats – FX format (36 x 24), 5:4 (30 x 24) and DX format (24 x 16)
- Sensitivity range ISO 200 to 6400 at normal setting for exceptionally high-quality images; can be set to ISO-equivalent 25,600
- Incorporates Nikon's original EXPEED digital image processing concept
- Nikon's original Scene Recognition system, utilizing the 1,005-pixel RGB sensor, greatly improves autofocus, auto exposure and auto white balance performance
- New 51-point autofocus system features 15 cross-type sensors that maximize the potential of lenses with apertures as small as f/5.6
- High-speed continuous shooting at approx. 9 frames per second [FX format (36 x 24)/5:4 (30 x 24)]/approx. 11 fps [DX format (24 x 16)] *1
- Newly employed Picture Control System enables creation of desired picture with preferred tones
- Accurate focal-plane contrast AF*2 available with built-in Liveview mode
- Wireless Transmitter WT-4*3 (optional) realizes wireless connection of cameras with a PC, enabling thumbnail display of images taken with up to five of them, and downloading of images selected
- CF card double slot accepts two CF cards
- Quick response with approx. 0.12 sec. startup time and 37 ms Shutter-release time lag
- Viewfinder with approx. 100% frame coverage and approx. 0.7x magnification in FX format
- High-definition (920,000 dots), 170˚ viewing angle, 3-inch VGA LCD monitor with tempered glass
- Active D-Lighting optimizes tone reproduction in both shadows and highlights
*1 With Continuous-servo AF, S or M exposure mode, shutter speed 1/250 sec. or faster; other settings are set at "Default".
*2 When Tripod mode is selected.
*3 Specifications differ depending on country or area.